Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mom, Don't Look Now But.....


Recently I discovered this photo taken on our drive north when we were moving to Canada from the US.

Here we are driving through Georgia on I-75. Ahead you will see our Budget moving truck. I spent days looking at the back of that truck, when I fell asleep at night I would still see it. 

There are many reasons I decided to move my family out of the US to Canada.

One thing that really bothered me was aggressive military recruitment of children in schools. Those who know me know I was an active counter-recruiter. An earlier blog entry “My 14 year old child was approached by a Military Recruiter during art class", (read here) was pretty much the last straw for me.

Passing me on the right is a rather interesting truck.  I was having a discussion with the kids on “why are we moving to Canada” again, and I told them that I really didn’t agree with aggressive military recruitment in schools to make good little soldiers. Middle boy said “Mom, don’t look now, but there is a military recruitment truck beside you”. Here was this truck with an ad for “join the Marines” and photos of the soldiers plastered all over it.

Well, it was definitely a sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment