Sunday, August 22, 2010

Là où j'appartiens? (Where do I belong?)

Florida and Ontario are very different, but they are both very beautiful places.

Obviously there are things about Florida I love, and will miss. There are things about Ontario I'm looking forward to seeing again. I love both places.

I've lived in Florida for years. I met and married my husband here. My children were born and raised here. I love my house. I have some very good friends here.

Florida is familiar to me, but I'm not from here. I'm a local and an outsider in Florida simultaneously.

I feel like a local because Florida is so familiar to me.

I feel like an outsider because the current anti-immigrant sentiment has made me feel I don't belong here.

Ontario is where I'm from, but I'm no longer familiar with it, or how life is in Ontario. I don't have any family left in Ontario (I was a late life baby, and my family are all deceased now). I don't (yet) know a single person in Guelph.

I get to be a newcomer and a native from Ontario all at the same time. It's quite a paradox.

The reasons for our move to Ontario (there are many reasons, and most of you know why), are good. We just cannot stay in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment